It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these Randomness posts. I’ve got some random thoughts going on today, so you get to enjoy them. Feel free to chime in with your own random thoughts in the comments section.
– I’ve become fairly dejected towards the current toy market. Outside of a couple Captain American figures, there’s almost nothing out in stores right now that I want to buy. Anyone else feeling this way? It seems the lines I was excited about have either withered on the vine or have just gotten too darn costly. I like a few DCUC figures, but I pretty much never see them at retail and when I do, it’s riddled with issues including price. This has caused me to start collecting a bunch of offbeat stuff, including 1/6 scale figures, where I feel I’m getting more bang for my buck.
– Anything in particular people would like to see more coverage of on the site?
– How do you guys feel about Hitler figures? I realize Hitler is like the most vile person in recorded history and whatnot, but I find it strange that people on forums always feel the need to quantify that they don’t agree with Hitler. Some people even freak out when they see Hitler figures. I guess I just feel like at this point, Hitler has become such a cartoon character, parodied and used as a villain in movies/TV/comics that owning a Hitler figure isn’t something that a collector should feel ashamed about. I mean, unless you salute it at nights or something. Am I crazy?
– My strategy to have a bunch of Infinite Hollywood t-shirts made up ahead of time, in order to keep costs down and sell them at a reasonable rate was a horribly failed business plan. If you guys don’t start buying these t-shirts soon, there’s going to be a ton of homeless people wearing them. One of which, very well may be me.
– Jon Brown, Wesitron and Rob are really bringing the awesome as of late. I realize the site has become quite diverse, but that’s closer in tune to how I originally imagined Infinite Hollywood. There’s some more interesting stuff coming in the weeks ahead, so I hope you enjoy.
– The guys over at Orcca Cast are getting a new name soon, but they’ve got 50+ old episodes to listen to. I imagine they’re getting a new name because a lot of people think their podcast is about whales. Lord knows I did for the longest time. Why would I listen to a podcast about whales? The good news is that their podcast isn’t about whales at all. I feel like the guys at Orcca are the nerdy friends I wish I had in real life. That’s probably the highest compliment I can give a podcast. When I’m listening, I often feel like I’m just hanging out with the guys.
– As I mentioned on Twitter… Collectors who constantly complain about other collectors, really drive me nuts. Especially if said collectors are so loaded that they’ve lost all perspective to the plight of the “common collector”. If you have a full scale replica Millenium Falcon in your backyard, you really haven’t the foggiest clue how everybody else is getting on. These are the guys usually claiming “they’re just toys”, “if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it” and a whole other laundry list of diatribe.
I tend to believe that the majority of collectors are sensible, rational, nice folks. Sure, the loudest are typically a couple of nutballs who complain incessantly about the most obscure things. I get being frustrated at that, but I really tire of people who seemingly troll the communities for the sole purpose of touting how big their collections are, and to chastise anyone and everyone who complains. And yes, I’m aware that I’m now doing what I dislike. The irony is not lost on me. But seriously, which is worse? Complaining about issues with a product or complaining about how other people feel?
– Poe has news on Mattel potentially getting Filmation rights for MOTUC. I floated the unsubstantiated rumor that this will lead to some retail exclusives for MOTU(C) in 2012 to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. That reminds me, remember how awesome the GI Joe 25th was? Man, those were the days.