I’m a couple days late on posting this, but I wasn’t around when the answers were sent to me. Thankfully it’s better late than never as we got some great answers this time around. All of these questions were submitted to us by you, so if you have more for another round feel free to respond or email them to me!
1. 2013 started off as a relatively cheap year for MOTUC fans, with the sub decreasing in it’s overall figure number. However shortly after Castel Grayskull was added and now the Filmation sub. Is overloading the fan’s wallets a concern for Mattel? It seems like this would likely account for some dropoff with subscriptions.
We are conscious of this, but also keep in mind that the Castle is a one time thing. We don’t expect to repeat it every year. Without the Castle, 2012 and 2013 are about the same with the Filmation series taking the spot of the 30th anniversary skus.
2. Back in June 2012, the retail team on Matty’s boards alluded to a possible exclusive Batman:Brave and the Bold pack for Target, around March of this year. Is there any information about this BATB pack and is it still a go? Will is use the new non-hex hole buck that leaked on Ebay? Nothing was mentioned at Toy Fair.
There is a Justice League line that is exclusive to Target, featuring an assortment of singles, figure/vehicles, as well as a 7-pack. This line features Justice League characters, including some of our favorites: Lex Luthor, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman. These items are starting to hit shelves, so be on the lookout for them in stores!
3. What’s the basis for selecting who goes into the Club Infinite Earths subscription? Does DC mandate the characters or is it something Mattel and the 4H decide? Maybe based off fan interest, even?
We work closely with our partners at DC and Warner Bros as well as work with all the members of the Mattel team including design, engineering and marketing on the final roll in. And we do extensively look at fan lists online which is why you see figures like Wally West, Elongated Man and Huntress showing up.
4. Is there time to reshape the wings on the new Batman Beyond figure to more closely match what was depicted in the cartoons and comics?
The wings are final.
5. Ringside Collectibles has had pretty good success teaming with Mattel for one or two yearly fan demanded exclusives. Has Mattel considered offering 1-2 special catered WWE exclusives to the MattyCollector site? This seems like a good way to get in a fan demanded repaint of say, Sgt. Slaughter or Terry Funk without having to commit to doing a whole “line” as before. They could even be tied to an event, like a SummerSlam exclusive or a Wrestlemania exclusive, each year around the time of the event.
We haven’t but it’s something that we’ll continue to consider in the future and the idea of tying the release to a major WWE event is a great one. We were excited about launching our Legends line on MattyCollector.com in 2012 but the performance of the program didn’t meet our expectations. This year, we are going to make some collector favorite figures from our Elite Collection available on MattyCollector.com so there will be a WWE presence on Matty!
If you have questions you’d like submitted to Mattel (I sent in a few this round from folk’s submissions to be answered next time around), email me or reply here with a question and I’ll try to get it asked. No matter what your question, I will ask it of Mattel. I need some good questions folks.