Finally got in another Q&A with Mattel. Thanks to Scott for the quick turnaround on these. SOme nice detailed answers for the most part too. Check em’ out!
1. Obviously you can’t reveal too much, but between some quick sell outs for certain figures and the success of Castle Grayskull pre-orders, is the MOTUC line looking “healthy” again? Obviously the line isn’t perhaps as popular as it was a few years ago, but there seemed to be an awful lot of doom and gloom earlier in the year. Are things starting to look up and is MOTUC on track to be still considered successful enough for Mattel to keep it going?
As long as we get the min number of sub holders each year it is doing just fine. As of now, we are planning the Aug 2013 release(s) and are starting to look into what a 2014 line could look like. Our goal is to get two more years (2014 and 2015) to try and “wrap up” the essential figs. It doesn’t mean 2015 is “the end” but it gives us an achievable goal, using years beyond that to possibly fill any holes through convention or special offerings if we can’t continue the sub due to rising costs and other factors.
2. It’s too early to know for sure, but if Castle Grayskull proves to be a big success, would Mattel potentially consider add-on packs? Stuff like the weapons rack (which has already been produced) but things that might could help dress up the castle? Alternate rooms or gear, as an example.
Yes, we could potentially look at this but no plans right now.
Editor’s Note: LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!
3. Castle Grayskullman turned out to be a huge hit. Arguably one of the best selling MOTUC figures in recent years. His fast sellouts were something of a surprise to many fans. We know that no figures were supposed to be re-released, but could he potentially be an exception if fan demand was high enough?
Definitely not. As a 30th anniversary figure he is special for 2012 and won’t be re run.
Editor’s Note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Look for the prices on this guy to continue to skyrocket. Meh, I wanted one eventually too, but I won’t pay top dollar.
4. The Temple of Darkness Sorceress was announced as going on sale in December. She showed up in November’s Black Friday sale. She sold out. Is there still stock for a December sale or is she not going to come up for grabs again?
No, she is completely sold out at this point. We moved her up to Nov due to both Granamyr and Procrustus slipping to Dec (Granamyr was supposed to be Sept). Shipping dates are always subject to change.
Editor’s Note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Again! Seriously, I don’t like that they did this. I realize she was on sale for several days, but they advertised her in December. I never got an email telling me otherwise. Oh well. I managed to miss her too, even though I had her in my cart. As soon as I tried to check out, she sold out. I guess I didn’t need her anyway. I liked the simple variant though.
5. With a new Superman movie on the horizon, is Mattel planning a similar roll out to the Green Lantern toys or will Superman get an even bigger and better selection of products, since he’s a more popular name? Likewise, did you guys learn anything specifically from the Green Lantern line that you might apply to the impending Superman toys?
We’ll have more to announce on Man Of Steel ideally at NYTF!
Editor’s Note: Hopefully some new Kevin Costner figures!
If you have questions you’d like submitted to Mattel, email me or reply here with a question and I’ll try to get it asked. No matter what your question, I will ask it of Mattel. I need some good questions folks.