Here’s your first official look at the NEW Nickelodeon version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I posted about potential looks just this past week and speculated what the new Turtles might look like based on the WB Turtle designs. Now however, thanks to a fluff piece article in the Wall Street Journal we have our first official look at the new TMNT. Take a look with thoughts below:
– Okay, first the designs themselves. Because we don’t have any full body shots, but rather in motion type of shots, it’s hard to say what exactly the designs are. To me, they look a bit like the CGI TMNT movie mixed with the 2K3 TMNT toon. It’s not bad in general, but I’d need to see more to make an official opinion.
– For what it’s worth Nickelodeon is supposedly emphasizing that each character have a really defined personality (even though they always have) and a focus on “their martial-arts combat abilities”.
– Speaking of martial arts, Michelangelo doesn’t have his nunchucks. For starters, I’ve always thought the nunchuck ban is stupid. I mean, how is it that a sword, a large stick or a sharp pointed piece of metal less is dangerous than a nunchuck? Certain states have bans on nunchucks, but it’s legal to own a gun in any state. It’s something I’ve never, ever understood. However, it’s too early to call and say for sure that Mikey won’t have his chucks. He doesn’t have them here, but perhaps he still has them, but also uses something else.
– If Nick has abandoned the Nunchaku, I will consider it a huge blow for the franchise. It’s really one of the few battles that Nick will have to fight with the Turtles and it’s something that if missing, will prove that without the creators on board anymore, a certain level of the soul is lost as well. If Nick is simply downplaying the nunchucks as happened in later episodes of the original cartoon, so be it. Michelangelo has had his Nunchaku for the better part of 25 years though, in toys, cartoons and children’s cosplay apparel. Giving up now and changing it would seem, pathetic in my opinion.
– The weapon Mike is wielding is called a Kusarigama. For those keeping score at home this chain sickle is actually MORE dangerous than nunchucks since it has a blade on the end, but I digress.
– The guys have various wraps on them, which seems reminiscent of the “The Next Mutation” TMNT designs. I actually always liked them, but I’m not as keen on them here. It just seems like it’s tacked on, but perhaps with cleaner shots of the hands and feet I’ll change my opinion.
– Don’s bo staff is clearly bent more like a bow and arrow. This could just be bad art that has the bo arching with the “action”.
– Their feet kind of look like hooves. Again, action shot, hard to say, but they’re certainly less defined than usual.
– Mikey’s face looks like a Ninja Turtles Ice Cream Bar, Don is making a goofy face and Leo looks stoned… Raph looks normal. Again, it’s impossible to judge too much on one low res photo, but there definitely seems to be some emphasis on giving everyone a distinct expression.
So what do you guys think? Do the new TMNT look good? Remember, although I’m being critical here I am perfectly willing to accept that this is very early art and not very good (as in angles and such) to really make too critical of a judgement. I don’t hate the new look based on one photo…