Finally got in another Q&A with Mattel. Thanks to Scott for the quick turnaround on these. SOme nice detailed answers for the most part too. Check em’ out!
1. Obviously you can’t reveal too much, but between some quick sell outs for certain figures and the success of Castle Grayskull pre-orders, is the MOTUC line looking “healthy” again? Obviously the line isn’t perhaps as popular as it was a few years ago, but there seemed to be an awful lot of doom and gloom earlier in the year. Are things starting to look up and is MOTUC on track to be still considered successful enough for Mattel to keep it going?
As long as we get the min number of sub holders each year it is doing just fine. As of now, we are planning the Aug 2013 release(s) and are starting to look into what a 2014 line could look like. Our goal is to get two more years (2014 and 2015) to try and “wrap up” the essential figs. It doesn’t mean 2015 is “the end” but it gives us an achievable goal, using years beyond that to possibly fill any holes through convention or special offerings if we can’t continue the sub due to rising costs and other factors.
2. It’s too early to know for sure, but if Castle Grayskull proves to be a big success, would Mattel potentially consider add-on packs? Stuff like the weapons rack (which has already been produced) but things that might could help dress up the castle? Alternate rooms or gear, as an example.
Yes, we could potentially look at this but no plans right now.
Editor’s Note: LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!
3. Castle Grayskullman turned out to be a huge hit. Arguably one of the best selling MOTUC figures in recent years. His fast sellouts were something of a surprise to many fans. We know that no figures were supposed to be re-released, but could he potentially be an exception if fan demand was high enough?
Definitely not. As a 30th anniversary figure he is special for 2012 and won’t be re run.
Editor’s Note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Look for the prices on this guy to continue to skyrocket. Meh, I wanted one eventually too, but I won’t pay top dollar.
4. The Temple of Darkness Sorceress was announced as going on sale in December. She showed up in November’s Black Friday sale. She sold out. Is there still stock for a December sale or is she not going to come up for grabs again?
No, she is completely sold out at this point. We moved her up to Nov due to both Granamyr and Procrustus slipping to Dec (Granamyr was supposed to be Sept). Shipping dates are always subject to change.
Editor’s Note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Again! Seriously, I don’t like that they did this. I realize she was on sale for several days, but they advertised her in December. I never got an email telling me otherwise. Oh well. I managed to miss her too, even though I had her in my cart. As soon as I tried to check out, she sold out. I guess I didn’t need her anyway. I liked the simple variant though.
5. With a new Superman movie on the horizon, is Mattel planning a similar roll out to the Green Lantern toys or will Superman get an even bigger and better selection of products, since he’s a more popular name? Likewise, did you guys learn anything specifically from the Green Lantern line that you might apply to the impending Superman toys?
We’ll have more to announce on Man Of Steel ideally at NYTF!
Editor’s Note: Hopefully some new Kevin Costner figures!
If you have questions you’d like submitted to Mattel, email me or reply here with a question and I’ll try to get it asked. No matter what your question, I will ask it of Mattel. I need some good questions folks.
The GI Joe Collector’s Club put up their first preview of the carded Big Boa figure this week. Boa is part of their new Figure Subscription Service. Although I am a member of the GIJCC, I passed on the figure service. Not because of Big Boa, though. In fact Boa was one of the main figures I did want. However, I didn’t want to commit to most of the other figures. I think there was around 4 or 5 of the whole bunch that I wanted.
Of course that’s the whole problem with these subscription models. They lock you into a bunch of figures you may or may not want. Heck, we still don’t know who the special bonus sub figure is yet. It’s just too much money for me to take that sort of gamble. It’s hard for me to buy figures when I don’t even know which ones I’m getting.
But man, Big Boa is awesome. This is one of the best 25th Anniversary style figures to come down the pike. It’s a damn shame that Hasbro isn’t the one putting these figures out. I would LOVE to get Big Boa for Christmas. Instead of finding him on the shelves, he’s part of some dopey subscription and he’ll no doubt be scalped for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.
Wesitron is back with another Youtube video review. If you like Wreck-It Ralph, you’ll love his toys… Or will you? Watch the review to find out! Don’t forget to leave a comment!
As the holidays draw closer, it’s time to shop for all the people in your life. For ladies out there, it means that dreaded time of the year when you have to enter the sporting goods and outdoor shops. It can be a daunting task for women who don’t know much about these places. Of course for the men in their life, the holiday season also means time for us to browse in our favorite outdoors supply shops and take a look at all the neat goodies we might want.
This is where The Sportsman’s Guide website is an asset to both men and women alike. It features an incredible array of products for that man (or woman) who loves the great outdoors. Whether it’s basic sports gear, fishing, camping, hunting or any other nature marketable, they have it all. What’s even better is that there are great discounts and coupons available at just the touch of your keyboard. Get deals like the o2 gear shop coupon which can save you bundles this holiday season.
Most of you have already heard about how Infinite Toys For Tots is back once again this year. We are excited to have lots of people trying to get the word out, but we’re not the only ones doing our best to get folks to donate to Toys For Tots. Geek For Tots is back once again, with plenty of neat prizes that you could win if you donate. Check out the press release below:
Win Toys For Helping Tots with Geeks for Tots!
11/26/12: Geeks for Tots is back once again to promote giving this holiday season. Geeks for Tots is a contest that encourages donations to the Toys for Tots.
There are far too many kids that won’t get gifts this holiday season and the Toys for Tots program is here to help. Toys for Tots takes new toys and distributes them to kids in need. To encourage donations to the Toys For Tots program, the Geeks For Tots contest is offering prizes to those who send in proof of donations to Toys for Tots.
The Prizes up for grabs are:
• Anakin Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber from Brian’s Toys
• Gift cards to Backstage Toys
• Gift cards to Luke’s Toy Store
• Gift cards to Luke’s Toy Store
• Lots of figures from Fantastic Plastic Toys
• Gift cards from 80sTees.com
• Gift certificates from Nerd Rage Toys
• New and vintage figures from Pixel Dan
• 30th Anniversary G.I. Joe Skytriker from Dinosaur Toy Vault
• And more to come!
To participate in the contest, a contestant has to either send in a picture of them donating at a Toys For Tots drop off box or by forwarding copy of a receipt from an online cash donation to the Toys For Tots website.
More details like where to send the photos and receipts, please visit GeeksForTots.com And the official rules can be found here.